Goals of Extraterritorial Zoning
- Preserve the look and feel of the New Glarus area.
- Accommodate reasonable development opportunities in rural areas.
- Preserve farmland and farming.
- Not affect ability of land owners to continue to use and enjoy current land use.
- Provide future growth opportunities in mutually agreed areas.
- Increase intergovernmental cooperation.
- Make zoning decisions for the New Glarus area.
- Provide clerer and more consistent plans and regulations.
Administration of Extraterritorial Zoning
- Designed to provide shared town-village voice of areas of mutual concern.
- Extraterritorial Zoning (ETZ) Committee made up of 3 town representatives and 3 village representatives.
- Zoning ordinance text and zoning map must be approved by Village Board, following preparation by the ETZ Committee (current deadline of November 15th).
- ETZ Committee will essentially replace local Plan Commission for areas under extraterritorial zoning jurisdiction.
- Zoning ordinance text may be written to delegate more or less authority to ETZ Committee (yet to be finalized).
Prepared by Vandewalle & Associates 5/3/06